Saturday 27 October 2012

In Amsterdam

Bit of drama getting to my hotel in Holland. Those who know me can confirm that I am a bit map-challenged...in that I never look at them if I can help it.  Being map-negligent and loving travel wouldn't seem to be a good mix, yet I've managed it somehow. Anyway, I did see that the hotel was in Utrecht - somewhere in Amsterdam, right?  Wrong.  Arrived in Amsterdam Centraal at night and discovered that Utrecht is a completely different town.  What? Who re-arranged the map? Scrambled to find a train to Utrecht, and after a half hour ride through dark-enveloped country-side, I stumbled my way to the hotel. I've never been more grateful to see a hotel room! But now on to my first pics of the Dam.









A fellow tourist checking out the city map - something I had to learn to do!  I got a great map at the station, and I dropped it on the street on my last day.  Since I have OCD, I couldn't use it any more. Boo!  I had planned to keep it as a souvenir.  I had to revert to plan B on that day and follow the trams to get to the places I wanted to see.  Why not get on a tram ? Well, I was on a limited budget.  Plus, walking helps you absorb a place.









No comments:

Post a Comment