Tuesday 28 June 2011

Noirscape

I have an episode of train trouble (frequent these days) to thank for this post. A couple of weeks ago, I had to get off the train at York Mills and walk to Sheppard due to signal trouble at Sheppard. It was a pretty lonely walk, but I did see some interesting buildings and doorways. It occurred to me that anyone can be the star of their own noir film, hence the predominance of black and white in these pics.

The escalators at York Mills lifting you to street level...



....buildings and parking lots...or the asphalt jungle....









....then I found a strange little stairway that seemed really familiar for some reason, so of course I had to walk up it...till a couple of people popped out of the shadows and scared the dickens out of me, so I made for the street lights again!










...Christianity in neon!



 ...concrete desert with light flowers...





.....and then you get to a stretch of overgrown grassland than reminds you of a David Lynch movie with some Twin Peaks vibes...note the grasses mysteriously flattened by something or someone...








....and just when you think that you might find a body lying in the thicket somewhere, you find a resting place for a few...




...and when you really start to feel a bit terrorized by all this noir, noir, noir....civilization! In the form of a petrol station, of course.



1 comment:

  1. Found your blog! Love the black and white pictures!

    ReplyDelete